Monday, December 13, 2010

Faith, Fear, & Flying Cars




Back To The Future is one of my favorite movies. Earlier today, someone mentioned that this year was the 25th Anniversary of the first movie & how it was funny that "the future" in the story is the year 2015. Only about 4 years from now. We reminisced about watching the trilogy during our childhoods, & among other things, aspiring to to be a DeLorean owner when we grew up.

The conversation about the movie was relatively short-lived, but it awakened a curiosity in me about the progress on flying cars, & then I came across the above model. It's only a prototype, but I found the words of article writer to be filled with so much truth, even beyond the meticulous execution of creating a flying car. The writer states,

"It takes courage and belief to mount an expedition. It is to easy to listen to doubters that convince us that our dreams are impossible or beyond us. Sometimes expeditions are successful and sometimes not, but to me it is the journey from dream to reality that is the most inspiring.."


These words, coupled with the DeLorean concept reminded me of a statement I used to always say to myself. "Everything visible was once only a thought.." This held true for many things: inventions, events, sin, belief, fear, etc. The theory had holes in it, but overall it inspired me to take hold of my thought life & try to utilize my heart & mind in a positive, productive, & effective way. My desire was to set my mind on things above, partner with heaven, & turn the world around me into the heart inside of me. I wanted to see with my eyes what I saw in my heart & mind.

As I read through the short article talking about this car, I thought to myself about what it must feel like to be an inventor. What does it feel like to physically experience that which once only existed as a thought in your mind or a passion in your heart. Unexplainable, undeniable, unrelenting. Is it a feeling of sanctification? Completion? Accomplishment? It takes courage & belief to mount an expedition, but I believe we're all called to an adventure in invention; a hike through the mountains of creating a new world around us. It will look different for everyone, but whatever it looks like, it likely burns within each of our hearts - a longing to experience externally that which only exists within us internally. I have a heart that burns for the reality of a lot of things. I pray for the courage & belief to embrace the expeditions I am drawn to. Like the Shulamite bride in Song of Solomon, I long to be a responder to the voice of my Beloved calling me to run with Him. Like everyone, I long to see my dreams become realities. And maybe one day, that will include owning a DeLorean..

No comments:

Post a Comment